Saturday, May 23, 2009

Coffee Talk

I gave up coffee and Splenda in April and surprisingly my skin has improved. I no longer have to use concealer to brighten the dark spaces on the inside of my eyes by my nose. They are gone!

Since quitting, I had one cup of full decaf, and it didn't taste very good. So it was the caffeine that kept me drinking coffee -- and gave me a 5-day headache after quitting, until I drank some yerba mate. This was as serious an addiction as cigarettes and as hard to quit. Now my new hot beverages are Guayaki Chocolatte Mate and Taylors of Harrogate Scottish Breakfast Tea with soy creamer. And I make smoothies. Instead of Splenda I use stevia from NuNaturals.

I still miss the coffee ritual: grinding the beans every other day (decaf and full caf mixed), brewing the coffee, frothing the milk, garnishing with nutmeg and cinnamon. That cup of coffee was better than anything you could get at Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts or a gourmet coffee place. Even Quebrada Bakery in Wellesley where they make some of the best coffee I've ever tasted and where I got a taste for Ethiopian. Their Dancing Goats was so good.

I used Ethiopian Sidamo beans for the caffeine mixed with Whole Foods Everyday Decaf beans.

Yes, I'm coffee reminiscing. Not as good as drinking it.

Coffee drinking face

Non-coffee drinker face

2 comments:

  1. Chocolate mate? Wow. I've had the regular and would love to try the chocolate.

    Your face has eally brightened. Whodo think it! Caffeine! I have switched to diet pop, and now I may just have to learn to forego it altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Say it aint so. I have recently(the past month)been trying to be healthier and cofee is my last "naughty" thing. Your face does look brighter and I have, to no avail, been trying to get rid of my dark circles. I may have to give this a trial run.

    ReplyDelete